New Hope UMC has been part of the community since before 1800. This history is rich with 200 years of worship and community service. The current location on the Gloucester/King & Queen County lines was established in 1929 when the church was moved to this site and expanded.
The early records of the area are a bit unclear as a result of multiple 19th century fires in both the Kings and Queen County and Gloucester County courthouses. What is apparent, however, is that a worshipping communty began organizing around 1797 under the name of Groom's church. In 1811, the name was changed to New Hope, with the church being one of 19 on the Gloucester circuit, the largest in the Richmond District at the time.
Records in 1866 show that the original 1 1/2 acres of land was purchased from Robert Bowden and his wife Demarious Bowden. The trustees: Frances Smith and Munro Cooke of King & Queen County; John T. Groome and Robert B. Pierce of Gloucester County; Robert T. Bland and Thomas Bowden of Middlesex County served the Church at this time. The Church was a part of the Middlesex Circuit. The mall one-room building housed 121 members.
At the Second Quarterly Conference of the Circuit, held at old Church , May 21, 1904, a committee of Nehemiah Milby, M. E. Didfake and Joseph Milby was appointed with full power to rebuild New Hope Methodist Church and at the adjourned Fourth Quarterly Conference held November 7, 1904 (four months) this committee reported the church completed, out of debt and dedicated to Almighty God. This church was built after thoroughly modern design and considered one of the prettiest in the State. The sermon at the dedication was preached by Rev. R. H. Bennett, Professor of Moral Philosophy and Biblical Literature at Randolph Macon College. The Rev. G. E. G. Smith was pastor.
Many spiritual fires have burned down through the years under the leaderships of the Reverends C. T. Harrell, C. E. Hobday, E. H. Hopkins, R. V. Owen, T. G. Pullen, R. Junius Brooks, C. D. Coffey and others, when quarterly conferences and revivals were held all day with big spread dinners under the oaks standing the church grounds of New Hope Methodist Church.